[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: DC power supply again

From: 	Malcolm Watts[SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent: 	Thursday, August 28, 1997 2:45 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: DC power supply again

Gudday Harri,
              Nice to hear from you again.....

Indeed yes. I have already successfully run coils from such a supply.
The supply behaves like a current source of sorts and the gap shunts
the output while conducting so the rectifiers need not hold off more
than that required by the flyback design alone.

> Therefore I had the conclusion that the topology must be something else
> to be safe. Almost every topology will still be in trouble when the
> partially charged cap is reverse biasing the system. I can think of no
> other solution but preventing that like with a dc cap and large inductor
> after that. Unfortunately that means a large, expencive, bulky inductor.
> There are some other rather exotic solutions but I'm not for them either.

In fact using inductive storage is _exactly_ the right topology for
the job. You will instantly blow a forward or transformer type
converter if it has no current limiting and if it does, you are
likely to suffer serious gap quench problems. I have total confidence
in my choice based on experiments I have already conducted.

> I'd still love the SMPS approach becouse of the same benifits you
> described. Variable power & voltage power source would be quite usefull
> for other purposes as well.

I am going to wind a second transformer for using the supply for an
arc welder.

> For optical feedback I'd also suggest using that to determine need of
> eg. large magnetic fields in the gap to quench it. Rather large magnetic
> fields are quite quickly generated with suitable coils driven by say a
> FET from a 400V source.. I bet that kind of device would be actually
> rather simple to build and it would allow tailoring quenching times just
> what you like. I guess that could also be used for preventing gap firing
> before the suitable moment.

> The same old problem. I usually get the same problem as well. :(

My timetable has accelerated now I have a job. It is crucial I get
this thing going now. I will be winding the primaries today.

> Those kind of devices for kW use are mentions even in literature. Usually
> they are nowadays resonant mode devices directly charging a cap. Those
> tend to be rather cheap.
>
> The best transformer solution may be something like primarys in parallel,
> secundarys in series (for non flyback). Usually many small separate
> transformers is better than a huge one made from E-cores. Large ones
> do not dissipate heas as well. If it is made of small units anyway, I'd
> certainly go for multiple transmormer system. It can be prototyped with
> low output voltage and expanded later as needed.

I see simplicity as the best approach. I looked at multiple windings,
multiple transformers and it didn't look good. With good design,
switchers can be made pretty efficient with regard to heat
generation.

Malcolm