[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: More Research

From: 	richard hull[SMTP:rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net]
Sent: 	Saturday, August 30, 1997 6:41 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: More Research

At 10:30 PM 8/28/97 -0500, you wrote:

> [...]
snip

>To Richard Hull: How far have you taken big toploads - i.e. have you
>kept on increasing them _for a particular resonator_ until
>sparklength has either topped out or started to go back down? I
>realize that increasing toploads invokes other changes which could
>include boosting primary Q (tapping in more Lp), increasing primary
>energy (upping voltage, cap size or both) etc.

I have never, on a single resonator, found one instance where the spark
"turned around" or started to drop off with any size toroidal increase,
provided I poured in more energy.  I am confident the limit is very remote
and is as Tesla said limited purely by the geometry of the system,
insulation, air breakdown and the ability of the experimenter to control the
intense electric field energy.  I think maggey 11-E is a prime example where
a 12" tall 4" diameter coil is now throwing 11 foot arcs!  I am now
"building limited" and have little doubt that the 11 foot arcs could be
increased if only I had the room.  RH