[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Bypass caps and Neons

From: 	D.C. Cox[SMTP:DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net]
Sent: 	Tuesday, December 09, 1997 12:02 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Bypass caps and Neons

to: Mike

RF chokes are always required.  A value of 1 1/2 in dia with around 60
turns works fine to clip the very high frequencies.  Then a good power
resistor is required between the RF choke and your transformer bushing --
as you already have.  The caps are usually optional but cheap insurance.
We use 3 -- 500 pF "doorknob" type caps in series (total 167 pF at 60 kV)
off each bushing to ground with a 20 watt, 10 Ohm resistor in series
between the lower end of the doorknob stack and ground.  The RF chokes grab
the HF, the resistors spoil the Q factor, and the caps act as a direct
ground path for HF currents.  Another tip is be sure to keep your TOTAL gap
around 0.200 to 0.250 inch when using NST's.  All these components together
should provide long life from a NST in good condition to start with.  On
ocassion you will fry a NST but many times it was "tired" to begin with if
it is an old, used unit.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net

Center