[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: parts search (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 97 19:41:29 -0500
From: Adam <absmith-at-tiac-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: parts search (fwd)

>I have been searching the internet for some time now in what seems to
>have been a waste of time.  All that I can say is that in a week or so I
>will have half a dozen new catalogs at my house.  I am tring to find
>places that sell:

>	1. ferrite core torroid shaped choke forms (thats a mouthful!)

 http://Bytemark-dot-com/amidon/

This is an excellent source for toroids.  For tesla high voltage RF
chokes, go for iron powder toroids.  Ferrites generally have much higher
permeability, and all but the very largest lowest permeability ones will
saturate with the amount of 60Hz current you will be putting through them.

I bought two of Amidon's part T400A-26 for my newest 2kVA coil, it's the
biggest iron powder roid they sell (4" OD  2.25" ID  1" Thick, perm=75).
$11 each + $7.50/unit S&H  These should kick for tesla coil use (with
appropriate Q damping resistance).

>	2. HV "doorknob" caps to be used for neon protection

C & H Sales has the best prices for sprague doorknobs I've seen:

340 pF    40kV      $12.50  <-- should work nicely with one per leg.
460 pF    30kV      $17.50
500 pF    30kV      $17.50
620 pF    40kV      $32.50
780 pF    30kV      $30.00
920 pF    40kV      $35.00
1000pF    30kV      $30.00
2500pF    30kV      $50.00

>	3. various ceramic insulators

Poor selection in most catalogs.  Nebraska Surplus Sales has some nice HV
feedthru insulators, but like everthing else in their catalogs, they're
WAY OVERPRICED! Don't be fooled by the company name, this place is a
regular retailer that also happens to have some surplus items (but at
non-surplus prices).

>	4. HV wire in spools less than a thousand feet

Most surplus places have the 15kV or 40kV high voltage insulated wire by
the foot.  This is the neon sign type stuff that's usually 14-18 ga
stranded with the PE insulation on the inside and black flame retardand
plastic over that.  Is this what you need?  The black rubber only kind
(like TV HV wire) is probably also available.  Some people have also used
RG58 that's been stripped of it's shielding- esp. for choke winding.

Nebraska Surplus has HV insulated magnet wire, at normal retail cost.
Belden also has a good selection of wire types.

Hope that gets you some leads.  When the catalogs come, you'll know where
to shop simply by comparing prices.  Remember to check each places
minimum order amount and shipping costs also, I usually find this info in
the fine print and write it right on the catalog cover as a reminder.

-Adam

Adam Smith
absmith-at-tiac-dot-net
Epoch, Inc. Digital Music Project