[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Blown Cap [Help] (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 19:57:06 +0500
From: "Alfred A. Skrocki" <alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Blown Cap [Help] (fwd)

On Tue, 16 Dec 1997 19:50:15 -0600 James Burgess
<bouncer-at-iquest-dot-net> wrote;

> I finished my new rsg and fired up the coil only to blow my
> homemade flat plate cap. It was a .03  cap .090 ldpe .
> I have decided no more home made caps.

Why? If you took a good look through the back messages in the archives
you will quickly find that just as many, if not more, commercial caps blow
than homemade! Just make the next one more robust, be sure you have an
adequate thickness of dielectric or better yet make several higher value
caps and put them is series for greater breakdown voltage. Be sure to
eliminate all bubbles, the the oxygen in these bubbles is converted to
ozone which rapidly deteriates the polyethylene leading to quick breakdown
EVEN when the thickness is more than adequate!

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   Alfred.Skrocki-at-CyberNetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/