[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Replacements for the neon

From: 	Bert Pool[SMTP:bertpool-at-flash-dot-net]
Sent: 	Monday, December 22, 1997 8:42 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Replacements for the neon

TTYL!

>---
>Paul Anderson
>Hacker, Mad Scientist, Machinist, Publisher, and Author
[snip]

Paul, I wound a 2 kva transformer on a core from a big isolation
transformer that I bought scrap.  I used 28 gauge wire for the
secondary, and attempted to use teflon insulation between layers.  Do
not do this!  Too soft, and too slippery.  The insulating sheets
between each layer of wire need to be a stiff paper that will allow you
to wind each layer perfectly flat.  Any winding defects such as
crossovers, bumps, spaces, etc., will peopogate on through each
following layer, just getting worse and worse.  It took hours and hours
of hard hand labor.  I put it in oil.  I ran it.  It lasted fifteen
seconds before it failed.  I will never attempt this again.  I know at
least one other soul on the list *did * successfully wind a hv
transformer and made it work.  Perhaps you will receive some positive
info on construction - all the info I can supply is how *not* to build
one <grin>.

Bert Pool
TCBFW
bertpool-at-flash-dot-net