[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 130kW Coil Update (fwd)

From: 	Gary Pedro[SMTP:GaryKF6FPU-at-Sphinx-Egypt.Com]
Sent: 	Tuesday, December 23, 1997 7:11 PM
To: 	'Tesla List'
Subject: 	RE: 130kW Coil Update (fwd)

is this the coil at the San Francisco navel ship yard if so can anyone come to view it and if so when and how do you get there from Fremont.

Gary Pedro KF6FPU

-----Original Message-----
From:	Tesla List [SMTP:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent:	Saturday, December 20, 1997 3:25 PM
To:	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:	130kW Coil Update (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 01:11:14 +0000
From: Greg Leyh <lod-at-pacbell-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: 130kW Coil Update

The rotary gap system has now been dynamically balanced
using two accelerometers and a phase-locked strobe light,
and the unbalanced forces are now under 20lb (not bad for
a rotating system with 2000G's at the edge).
Beforehand, the gap would excite several mechanical
resonances, including a rather unpleasant one in the
walls the vault structure around 1900 RPM!
The last couple of weeks have been filled with getting
various permits and blessings, troubleshooting the SCR
control circuitry, and dodging the weather...
We are just about ready for the initial single-shot
tests at this point,  and the goal is to have some sparks
on New Years' Eve.  Then we plan to regularly operate
the coil thru Jan 13, and teardown on the 14th.

-GL