[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Why does top capacitance work? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 10:48:40 -0500 (EST)
From: richard hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <mod1-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Why does top capacitance work? (fwd)

snip

>Malcom,
>
>Is it possible that this is the same phenomena as just adding more power to a
>given system and getting little or no increase in output?  I have reached
>that point with my 6" dia coil.  Once you get up to about 4kva in, adding
>power up to about 7kva results in little increase in output.  I believe there
>is a power or performance curve for any given coil system that is based
>primarily on the physical size of the secondary - given a well designed
>system, i.e. good primary, in tune, good quenching gaps, good Q, etc.  As you
>would expect, the curve starts out rather steep where doubling the input
>power results in considerable increase in output (discharge length).  Then
>gets to a point where the curve gets quite flat and little output increase
>can be had even by doubling the input power.
>
>Comments?
>
>Ed Sonderman
>

>Ed,

My own work here suggests exactly what you are saying.  There appears to be
an optimum power curve for any given system beyond which more power just
heats the air.  Also sparks in the 30' plus class demand tremendous
expenditures of power to grow even another foot.  A completely different
class of systems seems to be required to work beyond 20-30KW.  What
embodiment these may take on is beyond by ability to crank out hardware.
Other than for Greg Leyh's system, most in this class which I have seen were
abysmal performers. (based solely on personal surmises and extrapolations)

Richard Hull, TCBOR