[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Why does top capacitance work? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 17:14:15 -0500 (EST)
From: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Why does top capacitance work? (fwd)

<<
 > Malcom,
 >
 > Is it possible that this is the same phenomena as just adding more power
to a
 > given system and getting little or no increase in output?  I have reached
 > that point with my 6" dia coil.  Once you get up to about 4kva in, adding
 > power up to about 7kva results in little increase in output.  I believe
there
 > is a power or performance curve for any given coil system that is based
 > primarily on the physical size of the secondary - given a well designed
 > system, i.e. good primary, in tune, good quenching gaps, good Q, etc.  As
you
 > would expect, the curve starts out rather steep where doubling the input
 > power results in considerable increase in output (discharge length).  Then
 > gets to a point where the curve gets quite flat and little output increase
 > can be had even by doubling the input power.
 >
 > Comments?
 >
 > Ed Sonderman

 Ed,

 I was curious if you noticed where the extra 3kVA power went when you
increased
 to 7kVA.  Did something get 3kVA hotter?

 -GL

GL,

I measure the power into the system by monitoring the pole pig primary
current and voltage.  The only thing I can tell you for sure is the watts
consumed.  As to where they went, I am not sure, maybe into the spark gaps?
 Maybe it gets reflected back into the primary and is lost as radiated
energy?

Ed Sonderman