[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Why does top capacitance work? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 11:50:50 -0500 (EST)
From: DavidF4797-at-aol-dot-com
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Why does top capacitance work? (fwd)

> For any given current & voltage setting this coil seems to respond well to
>  increasing the rotary (async.)  speed - until the C.P. cap explodes.

For anyone who is interested, I just had another conversation with Beau
Meskan (the Prez of Plastic Capacitors) about the caps that he has available
for T.C. use.  Questions have come up on the list from time to time about the
maxium break rate that these caps might be rated for.  I asked Mr. Meskan
about such a rating and his reply was that there was no known limit of max
breaks per second with these caps.

He mentioned that neatrly identical caps are currently used in pulse radar,
pulse laser and induction heating systems at very hign pulse (break) rates
with no known problems even well above 1200 breaks per second.  He implied
that he would be interested for somone to use/test one of these caps at high
break rates "to determine what the maximum sustained break rate might be
before failure"  He went on to  give what sounded like an invitation to try
and destroy one of their caps with high break rates (within reason) as this
would provide them with usefull information, and might actually allow them to
attach a max break spec to the caps.

He does not believe that their T.C. caps  will fail at evey very high break
rates, although he did admit that very high break rates might shorten the
life of the cap *slightly.*  Any takers?

-DavidF-