[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Sonotube HV properties (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 07:57:24 -0500
From: Thomas McGahee <tom_mcgahee-at-sigmais-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <mod1-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Sonotube HV properties (fwd)

----------
> From: Tesla List <mod1-at-pupman-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Sonotube HV properties (fwd)
> Date: Wednesday, February 26, 1997 11:32 PM

HV work,
> > that they absorb moisture, the ink conducts, etc.
> >
> > But your half-wave coil success clearly shows that these tubes can be
used for
> > high-performance TC applications.  Could you tell us the brand of paper
tube
> > that you used to make your coils?
> >
> > -GL
>
> Greg,
>
> The sonotube I used for my twin was obtained from Keystone Builders
> Supply in Rochester, N.Y. and is made by Sonoco Products in Canadaigua,
> N. Y. I believe Sonoco Products has other plants around the country.
> Keystone has other outlets around New York state, but I don't know if
> they have other places around the country. Most large commercial
> builders' supply companies should have similar products. Just be certain
> that the tubes are stored indoors in dry conditions and have not been
> exposed to rain or snow. As I said before, these aren't the ideal
> coilforms, but when you get up into the 18" to 36" diameter coils, more
> ideal materials aren't as easy to find to find or as reasonably priced.
>
> Ed

Ed, Greg, and all,
I have noticed that a lot of little park playgrounds have these slides that
are made from plastic tubing that is large enough for the children to slide
inside of them. The middle section is a straight section that is bolted to
the curved sections. This straight section would make an ideal coil form,
wouldn't it? I wonder who actually manufactures the plastic sections, and
what they would charge for one? Anyone out there with a tape measure who
can tell us what the dimensions (length, diameter) on the straight tube
are? I know they are made of plastic with a high insulation value. I would
guess that they are fairly expensive, but it looks like they would be
excellent coil forms. Has anyone out there used any of these?

Fr. Tom McGahee