[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Air Blast?

       Date:
            Mon, 24 Mar 1997 08:20:49 +1200
       From:
            "Malcolm Watts" <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
         To:
            tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

Hi all,
          John Freau writes....
> Kevin,
>
> I tried a similar method using a set of small nozzles at each of six
> electrode pairs on a rotary gap.  I applied up to 70 PSI air pressure,
> but it provided no benefit at all (observed both by eye, and by o-scope).
>The TC was a small test set-up using only a few watts of power.  I think the
> firing gap just laughed at the air blast.   But I'm thinking now that whether
> or not the air helps may depend to a degree on how good the quenching was to
> start with.  My quenching was good, but I wanted even better.  If quench is
> poor, maybe air would help, but I'm doubtful.  The key to success, (if success
> is possible) may be CFM in addition to pressure.  My CFM was limited to
> about 4.  I suspect that a rather large sized nozzle may be helpful, for >instance 1/2" in dia.  This way the whole area of the gap is bathed in air, but >CFM requirements will be high -- you'll need the mammoth air compressor.
> I've always wanted to try some sort of gas environment (such as nitrogen),
> someday.....
>
> Towards optimal quenching,
>
> John Freau

I've had the same sort of experience. A jet of air through a simple
gap had no major effect. Some systems quench cleanly when the
parameters are just right. Many people do seem to have achieved it
though. I wonder what combination of parameters make it happen?
Perhaps some whose systems have done this might have ideas. I guess
gap current getting low enough would be one so hitting a suitable k
might be rather important as would inductor size. Gotta build a
variable k primary system.

Malcolm