[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: First big magnifier run

At 10:25 PM 2/4/97 -0700, Bert Hickman wrote:
[big snip on new magnifier run]

>Congratulations on a great start with your new Maggie. How long is the
>run from the base of your driver coil to the water pipe at you house?
>When you get flashovers to ground, the currents are quite high, and the
>frequencies are typically in the multi-MHz range. Any significant
>inductance in the ground path might make this path higher impedance than
>to the rebar below during a primary strike. Did your safety gap(s) fire
>during these primary strikes? Interesting phenomenon for sure!!
>
>Safe coilin' to you!
>
>-- Bert H. ==

Bert,

Actually, I do believe the length of the copper ground line was a major
factor in why the primary chose the concrete.

On potential transformers and pole pigs I have never used safety gaps.  I
am, however,  thinking about a choke and bypass cap to help keep some of the
high freq stuff out of the transformer.

You can tell I'm an old "Treasure of the Sierra Nevadas" kind of coiler: ".
. .safety gaps? We don't need no stinking safety gaps!" ;)

Bert Pool
nikki-at-fastlane-dot-net