[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: First coil! (Beware, NEWBEE!)

Tesla List wrote:

> Subscriber: pwac-at-flinet-dot-com Wed Feb  5 22:38:15 1997
> Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 20:35:51 +0500
> From: Jeremy Bair <pwac-at-flinet-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Cc: Marques-at-greatbank-dot-com, douglass-at-shell.flinet-dot-com
> Subject: First coil! (Beware, NEWBEE!)
>
> Hi everyone, I have been interested in Nikola Tesla since about 7th
> grade, I had to do a report on anybody not from the United States, after
> hearing much about him around magazines and TV, I wrote a nice report,
> after that, it has been my wish for a while to build (AND UNDERSTAND)
> some of his inventions. To start, I want to build a coil (A simple one).
> For my first, because of its simplicity in design, I want to built a
> Solid State coil, and I have some questions about it, as well as
> questions concerning the standard Coils built by most of you ;) (But
> those questions will come later).
>
> I found these plans, and I'm sure you have too at
> ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/sci/electronics/tesla/misc/sstesla.gif , they
> look relatively easy, and I have most the parts allready. (12v supply,
> capacitor, etc.)
>
> Ok, I will begin ASKING away! Please be calm with me, I am a serious
> newbee.
>
> <- Lets start all the way at the left, to the mass of diodes.
>
> I have a VERY good 12V power supply rated at 5amps. (I got it from a
> transformer dealer out of the catalog, I would like to purchase another,
> but lost the info, if anyone knows of good dealers for ANY parts I would
> need here and other projects let me know please!). And it is DC
> allready, I was wondering if since it has all the necessary diodes to
> make it DC, do I really need to create the bulk you see at the begining?
> Or is it a waste to build it if I allready have a DC power supply?
>
> This Image:

>  -------
>   -----
>    ---
>     -
>
> Does that mean all the grounds are connected? Even the ground from the
> house? And the negative pole to the ground also? This is the way I would
> interperate it, but I may be wrong.

This is the sign for a grounding point. every place that shows this
should
be connected to every other place that shows it. The group of
connections
should be connected to ground. Since this a radio frequency ground, it
would
be best to connect to a water pipe (if you live in an old building with
steel
pipes) or to one or more copper pipes driven several feet into the
ground. You
should connect to this ground by using a conductor with a large outside
diameter
or surface, since most of the energy will be using only the outside of
the
conductor (3/8" copper water pipe should work nicely).

> Next.. :) Please keep up, and if you do respond, please hit all my
> questions! (Newbee again, like I said).
>
> The required capacitor is a 16V -at- 1800uf. Well... I allready have a
> Sprague Powerlytic 15V -at- 21,000uf capacitor, can I substitute this
> instead? I dont think it should make a difference. (right? And it may
> give it more juice ;)

The DC power supply incorporates the filter cap in it. In other words,
the 16v -at- 1800uf cap is not really necessary; however, if you add the
15v -at- 21000uf cap, you add a reserve of capacity that will smooth out
any sudden request from your circuit for current. In other words, it's
not necessary, but it doesn't hurt, and it might help.

> Moving along..
>
> The Transistors I understand! Easy enough ehh? (Gee).
>
> Now for the coreing.
>
> Ok, big one here. NOW, what type of core does a Solid State coil use?
> Ferite? Air?

I have seen several types of solid state coils (in schematic form)and
the type of core depends on which type you're building. If you're
building
the type that takes it's output directly from a flyback xformer, the
flyback provides the core. If you're building the type that is driven
from an
automobile spark coil, the secondary xformer is air core.

> And... See how the Feedback is above the Primary, and it states at the
> bottom that it is suppost to be on top of it? So do all the windings add
> up to about the same tallness? And do I gotta wrap them RIGHT on top of
> each other or can I coat each layer to help with the windings? And then
> the HV (Would be the secondary I guess) is said to use the "Original
> Winding".. Uhhh. Which? The #18 Insulated Hook-up Wire (And what is this
> anyhow?)

It looks, from this segment, that you're using a tv flyback xformer. in
that
case, the winding would be wound around the same space as the primary,
so that your xformer would not gain any height. The windings should be
RIGHT on top of each other, but using a coating that allows the closest
possible winding should be acceptable. The HV is the output from the
flyback
which is the large winding on the other leg of the ferrite core. The
output
is directed to two pins on the bottom of the xformer and can be found by
making resistance measurements. The resistance of the output winding
should be several hundred Kohms or perhaps even megohms. There are
others
on the list who can point you to a better method of finding the output
pins. As far as #18 insulated hook-up wire, this means 18awg (normally)
stranded wire wrapped in plastic insulation. The individual strands are
normally 20awg or smaller, uninsulated, and twisted together inside
the insulation. Your standard extension cord normally uses 18awg
stranded
wire, but two separate conductors and a different type of insulator. BTW
the #18 insulated hook-up wire is NOT the original winding, it is the
one
you add for the feedback winding.

> Ok, last questions: What type of wire is used? Copper? This Insulated
> Hook-up Wire?

This is most highly reccommended, since aluminum can't be soldered by
normal methods. Tinned copper and tinned aluminum are also acceptable.

> And what is the estimated power I would recieve out of such a device? I
> heard from someone 40kv.

40KV is not a power rating, but it does seem that you could coax 40KV
from a system like this, presuming you operate at the proper frequency.

--
Good Luck!

  Rick Holland

  The Answer is 42