[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Want to start new coil...

Hello all.  I built my first coil without any precalculation, just rough
estimates from a magazine article.  Anyway, after very little tweaking
it worked very well, giving good 16-inch sparks from one 30ma neon.
Well, I'm itching to build another, much "bigger" coil and to do it by
the equations.

I could use advice in all areas but let me try to give some info.  I
have 5 60ma 15kV neons and 5 30ma 15kV neons.  I should also should have
the support and assistance of a PhD in EE and possibly some space in an
EE lab.

Let's assume that I'll use some combo of neons to get 300mA-at-15kV=4.5kW.
Could someone out there who has built a coil in this power range
recommend a secondary height-diameter ratio and some hard dimensions (ie
6"x20").  What about AWG for the secondary?  What about capacitors?
What value would I need, and by what equation?   Now onto the spark
gap(s).  I assume at this power level I'm going to want a rotary gap
with stainless steel(?) electrodes.  What is a synchronized gap; how
does one synchronize a gap?  Is there a general formula that relates
RPM, disk diameter, eletrode spacing, etc.?  I have some 3/8" soft
copper tubing that I think would be good for a primary.  Once again, how
many turns would I want at what spacing, and what is the equation?
Toroid: what size toroid would be appropriate and where can I obtain
one?  And finally, what sort of devices can I use to control the amount
of power going to to coil circuit?  Please be specific.

Much Thanks in advance to anyone who answers any or all of my questions.

  [Part 2, Text/HTML  38 lines]
  [Unable to print this part]