[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Salvaged variacs and Xformers

Before anyone gets too excited, I'll point out that I am in Liverpool,
England, and if you want any of this stuff you can pick it up or pay the
postage.

I've just finished a postgraduate physics course at Liverpool, and I was told
I could take any parts I wanted from a couple of power supplies that are
going to be thrown out.  Basically, most of the stuff is too high-power and
bulky for me, but I am happy to pass it on to anyone else who wants it,
perhaps in exchange for something smaller, but not neccesarily for anything.
I'm only thinking about my first coil at this stage, having been too short
of money to start buying parts.

>From the first box, I have already salvaged:
	three 8A Variacs, 230V in, 0-275V out
	one 230V -> 3.35V transformer (I don't know the output current, but
		the secondary is 4.75 turns of 1" by .5" copper bar)
I have yet to remove (because it's rather heavy)
	one 230V -> 5500V, 350mA transformer

in the second box (I shall have to check I am allowed to dismantle this),
there is:
	one 10A variac
	one small variac - this is smaller than the 8A variacs
	four large tubes, labelled "Mullard RR3-1250A"
	one 230V -> 5kV transformer
	one 230V -> 10V, 30A transformer
	one 230V -> 4V, 11A transformer (dual output, I think)

The parts which I have not removed are liable to be thrown out within the
next few weeks.
As I said, this is free for the taking, but if someone could give me a neon
or a HV capacitor in return, that would be appreciated.

Maybe the 5kV transformers are too low-voltage to be of use for Tesla coils,
but I thought I'd offer them anyway.  Would it be possible to use the 230V
-> 3.35V transformer backwards to get 230V -> 15.8kV?  If so, I might keep
it myself.

	Michael Attenborough