[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Colorado Notes and laser caps

At 11:25 PM 2/7/97 -0700, you wrote:
>> Subject: laser caps
>
>Subscriber: tom_mcgahee-at-sigmais-dot-com Fri Feb  7 23:09:09 1997
>Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 17:36:52 -0500
>From: Thomas McGahee <tom_mcgahee-at-sigmais-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: Colorado Notes and laser caps
>
>    [The following text is in the "ISO-8859-1" character set]
>    [Your display is set for the "US-ASCII" character set]
>    [Some characters may be displayed incorrectly]
>

>----------
>> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
>> To: Tesla-list-subscribers-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
>> Subject: laser caps
>> Date: Friday, February 07, 1997 2:25 AM
>>
>> Subscriber: gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net Fri Feb  7 00:17:33 1997
>> Date: Thu, 06 Feb 1997 08:39:52 -0800
>> From: Gary Weaver <gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>> Subject: laser caps
>>
>> see attachment
>>
>>   [ Part 2: "Attached Text" ]
>>
>>     [The following text is in the "iso-8859-1" character set]
>>     [Your display is set for the "US-ASCII" character set]
>>     [Some characters may be displayed incorrectly]
>>
>> Today at the scrap yard I found what I think is a power supply for some
>type of laser.  The tag said Laser Products, Mesa, Arizona.  The power
>supply has 28 door knob type capacitors.  They are mounted in 2 groups of
>14 caps each in parallel.  Each group is mounted side by side and the ends
>of the caps all have a single spark gap on the end connecting each cap of
>one group to the matching cap of the other group.  It has 14 spark gaps.
>The caps and gaps are mounted inside a 1/2" plastic case with 4 fans on the
>side of the case for air flow.  All 4 fans are 4" box fans also sometimes
>called muffin fans.  The case also has a small freon type cooling system
>built inside. On top of the case is a high voltage transformer, some type
>of amplifier device, another control box, a 40,000. volt .06 uf plastic
>cap, several high wattage resistors, a choke coil, a high voltage ignition
>coil device simular to a car ignition coil large orange plastic, gas flow
>control valves and guages and lots of other items.  The thing weive never
>seen anything like it and I have never thought of making such a device.   I
>have not given it any thought yet but it may be useful in TC applications.
>Enclosed is a circuit drawing.
>>
>> Gary Weaver
>>   [Part 3, Image/GIF  7.7KB]
>>   [Unable to print this part]
>
>Gary,
>The 14 spark gaps may indicate that the caps are wired in what is sometimes
>called a Marx configuration. Are there any coils connecting the caps? If
>there are, then what you have is a form of high voltage Multiplier circuit.
>Many people are familiar with the Marx multiplier circuits that use
>capacitors and rectifiers. Well, there is a form of the Marx multiplier
>that uses coils and capacitors. The way it works is this: The capacitors
> [...]

Thomas

The book "Nikola Tesla - Lectures, Patents & Articles" by Nikola Tesla,
1956, two volumes, over 1000 pages is back in print $65.00, available from
Borderlands, P.O. Box 220 Bayside, California 95524, Tel 707 825-7733, Fax
708 825-7799, E-mail www.borderlands-dot-com

Gerry Vassilatos has an article in the Borderlands - Quarterly Journal of
Borderland Research, Second Quarter 1996, title The Broadcast Power of
Nikola Tesla - Part 1. An excellent biography with reference to the Marx
generator that Tesla called "impulse transformers" and how Tesla used it for
impulsing an electrostatic field in his coils.

Tesla remarked that the electrostatic potentials along the coil surface
(from end to end) could be as much as ten thousand volts per inch winding! A
ten inch coil of proper volume could produce one hundred thousand volt
discharge. In addition, and in confirmation of his suspicions, no current
was ever measured at the free terminals of these coils. A "zero coil
current" condition!

Michael