[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Calculating Sec. Voltage

Hi all,

Question: Wouldn't it be nice to know how many volts a TC will produce
before it's actually built?

I'm searching for some formulas that may give results close to actual
values, when calculating the secondary's output voltage.

For now, I've been using a silly little formula I retrieved from my old
high school physics book which is an ideal (I mean for an "ideal"
xformer) equation -

Vs   Vp   Ip
-- = -- = --
Ns   Np   Is

(I think the 3rd part is the right way up)...
Anyway,
Vs - Voltage of the secondary
Vp - Voltage of the primary
Ns - Number of turns of the secondary
Np - Number of turns of the primary

Rearranging -

Vs = Ns x Vp
     -------
       Np

To calculate the secondary voltage.

Now, I've applied this formula to a known coil (Yup, the Super Model 9
from Bill Wysock, yet again...fine coil system too I might add!)..

Ok, specs -
Ns = 800
Np = 4.5
Vp = 20,000v

So, Vs = 800 x 20000
	 -----------
 	     4.5
        = 3,555,555.556 volts

The coil is actually noted in the gallery (Questacon Nat. Sci. & Tech.
Centre, Canberra) as being a 3.5 MV coil...
 Although, most of the time it's only running on about 103v on the
primary of the xformer as apposed to 250v.

Well, this formula is a little too "easy" so to speak, so does anyone
have any formulas, preferably of the "hairy" type which one could use for
this problem?

Thanks All,

Have fun..
Rod