[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tube coil book

Gary, Stephen, all,

A few week ago there was some talk on the list about the book "Vacuum Tube
Tesla Coils" by the Corums, here's some info on the matter which I hope will
be helpful.

James Corum and Kenneth Corum are top notch Tesla coil researchers who have
made important contributions to the field.  They have done both highly
theoretical  and hands-on work.  Their book, Vacuum Tube Tesla Coils is
valuable even to those who want to avoid the math, but are interested in
theory.  It provides a good explanation of class C RF oscillators, covers
single tuned and double tuned circuits, coupling, frequency splitting,
transmission line, and other topics.  I found it to be a bargain at $8.

As you mentioned Stephen, it  is definitely not a "how-to" book however.  The
examples given are simply general examples of tube coil circuit designs,
without parts values.  How was the book described by the seller?   The ITS,
in their catalog, states that the book contains a thorough engineering
analysis of the Class C RF oscillators and helical resonators, contains
valuable appendices, and a brief history of resonator and particle
accelerator development.

Also available by the corums is their book and computer program, "TC Tutor"
which explains their Tesla coil theories, and allows one to simulate various
quench times, coil configurations, etc.  TC Tutor is designed for spark gap
TCs and is available for $12.

John Freau

>> I recieved the book I ordered on tube coils written by corum. It has a lot
of
 > schematics with components drawn and no values on them. To build a coil
you
 >> could just start trying values of components and burning them up until
you
 > hit the correct combo. There is a lot of math but it is not a guide to
 >> building a coil by any means. Nothing about turns, voltages etc. If I
thought
 > it would help I would just start cursing until morning, and 55.00 for it
too.
 snip