[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Esthetically Pleasing

        Perhaps it should be mentioned (however unnecessarily)
        that commercial copper tubing is available in various
        grades of hardness (or annealing, to be more precise)

        The hardest (or least annealed) is almost rigid and
        would take two men (and a strong boy) to bend at all
        let alone neatly.

        The softest grade (K - I believe - but I'm an electrician
        not a plumber) can be bent =easily= without tools.

                        - - - - - - - -

        A wonderful way to make a neat-o flat spiral primary
        is to start with a heavy copper or aluminum sheet the
        same width as the diameter of the finished spiral.

        A hole is drilled in the exact center of the sheet.

        The sheet is fixtured on the table of a vertical milling
        machine.   A spiral slot is milled from the outer edge
        of the sheet toward the center.  This by rotating the
        sheet by means of a pin in the center hole while at the
        same time using the power feed to advance the table.

        The ratio of these two (rotation vs. table feed) determine
        the pitch of the finished spiral.

        It's best to practice with a thin sheet of hardware-store
        aluminum first.

        While this can be done on a Bridgeport as described,
        it becomes duck-soup if one uses a vertical CNC machine
        with a B-axis rotary table.

                                      See ya 'round,

                                      Robert Michaels