[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Top Toroid

At 10:10 PM 2/1/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Subscriber: ed-at-alumni.caltech.edu Sat Feb  1 21:43:29 1997
>Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 09:00:06 -0800 (PST)
>From: "Edward V. Phillips" <ed-at-alumni.caltech.edu>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: Top Toroid
>
>Re: Sunchronous gaps
>	In all the posting here I haven't seen any mention of
>adjustment of the mechanical PHASE of the gaps.
>Ed Phillips
>
>Ed,

I thought this had been covered a while back.

It is quite simple and requires no real instrumentation.  Either the motor
or the stationary gaps must be movable or rotatatable about their axis.
With a true synchronous motor, either should be mechanically rotatable
through at least 180 degrees.  With the salient pole motor (mostly simple
modified induction motors)  Only a few degrees of freedom are necesary.
(motor locks to same point on shaft every time it is started).

The coil is run and the motor or stationary gap points are rotated until max
spark occurs.  A much more telltale sign of exact syncronism is the long
ribbon like appearance of the sparks where the normal frenetic activity of
the sparks ceases and now they become longish, slow ribbons of arc which
look almost tame, though still long.  Once seen, it is never forgotten.

Naturally scopes, neon timing lights, and other artifices can be brought to
task for the .000001% crowd, but it never wins a thing with the system or
its performance over the simple human touch and calibrated,
ever-integrating, eyeball.

Richard Hull, TCBOR