[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Top Toroid

<< John,

>Wow!  I didn't know that.  I only tried to use a large toroid on my tube TC
 >one time and it was a real bust (limited tune range).  I suspect it is
>induction type heating due to the more CW nature of the systems output.
>Where the energy is delivered in a more steady fashion with longer energy
> trains.  You have any ideas on why?

 Richard Hull, TCBOR

Richard,
Well, I assumed it was the RF induction heating effect that you mention.
 Some evidence for this scenario may be provided by another tube coil
experiment that I did a few years ago:

I built a large secondary 14" by 26", and wound it with 3 different gauges of
wire; #22 on the bottom, #25 in the middle, and #28 at the top.  The
secondary form was CARDBOARD (this was before I knew much about cardboard
losses).  You may remember this "nightmare" coil from my tape.   The top part
of the secondary got HOT!  Seems like a lot of RF heating was going on here,
and spark length was reduced from all the losses.  The spark was reduced from
24" using a "normal" sec, to 19" with the "monsrosity" secondary!

Robert Stephens suggests other causes also in his post.  I didn't really
explore the issue.

John Freau