[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

neon repair

HI

For several weeks there have been many suggestion on my post. "How can I
repair a bad neon transformer".

Everyone seems to have there own idea on how to remove the tar.  It
seems that just about everything has been tried.  There are lots of very
good ideas.

I have to pick an idea that best suits my needs.  Sence I don't want to
tie up a lot of time in this project I have decided on this approach.

I plan to remove the top of the case. Place the transformer in a solar
oven and melt the tar at 350 deg. F.  Pour out the melted tar.  Place
the bad transformers in a small container of Kerosene.  Place the
container with kerosene and transformers in the solar oven again.  The
hot kerosene will remove the rest of the tar.  Then I will fill the case
with oil or place several transformers in a common case and fill it with
transformer oil.  From start to finish over a period of a few days my
actual time spent working on this should be about 1 hour per
transformer.

I will have to wait until June, July or August to get enough heat from
the sun for this to work. I already have a small solor cooker in the
back yard that I use to bake cakes, pies, cookies, etc. during the
summer.  All I have to do is place a transformer in a contain and set it
in the oven.

Gary Weaver