[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: First Coil

>Subscriber: rwt-at-ozemail-dot-com.au Mon Feb 10 22:06:52 1997
>Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 17:02:55 +1000
>From: Russell W Taylor <rwt-at-ozemail-dot-com.au>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: First Coil
>
>Hi all,
>I finally found a couple of neon transformers and am now getting ready
>for coil building. The transformers are rated at 240V input and output
>is 15000/30mA and 10000/30mA. Both transformers work well. My question
>is thus....
>What else do I need to begin. From my understanding these neons will
>suit a smallish coil which is all I plan on starting with. I would like
>to buy a cap if possible as I am not that skilled at making one. What
>should I look for?
>Also, I am a little confused about pulling apart the neons and
>dissolving the tar etc. Is this necessary or is it only if I want to
>beef up the output or repair the beasts. Sorry I sound so vague, but I
>am new to this and would like to get it right (or there near abouts) the
>first time.
>Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>Russell.
>rwt-at-ozemail-dot-com.au

Russel,
        I am posting a list with prices from a company called
Condenser Products. There are other commercial cap companies
to buy from, but I bought mine from them. Some have had some
problems with the larger value caps but I have not. I think
a .01uf cap would suit you fine for now and you will be able
to 'grow into it' so to speak. I have just been pleased as
can be with my cap, it stays cool, it has poly dielectric
and it kicks butt!!

As for de-potting the neons, I would not right now if I were
you. It is messy, time consuming and I would almost every time
find another neon before I would go throught thr rigamarore of
breaking it down and depotting it. There are a lot of aspects
of coiling to learn in the beginning and having a working neon
means you already have a working component!! Start work on
another component, like a secondary, spark gap.....etc

Bob Schumann
http://www.america-dot-com/~tesla