[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Westinghouse Transformers (newbee)

Tesla List wrote:

 Luckily one had a plate on it saying < Type PTM Ratio
> >1:120  Primary 14400V F.W. imp. test 95>. I took one and sparked a 30VDC
> >power supply off the secondary an the primary threw a spark about an inch
> >and a half to two inches.
> >
> >I just wondered if any one knew how to wire one up in reverse to run a
> >TC.
> >
> Nick,

Well, as you have seen from the replies so far, you have a great find
which you can probably turn to a profit. However, as regards your
original
question, the method is to take your mains supply through an isolation
transformer of some type that outputs 120 volts and feed the 120 volts
into the secondary of the transformer. In other words, the transformer
is built to transform 14,400 volts down to 120 volts. If you feed 120
volts AC into the secondary, you should get 14,400 volts from the
primary.
Of course, this requires current limiting on the 120 volt side so as not
to over-stress the current capacity of the windings. In this area, there
are
many others who are much more knowledgeable than I. Good luck and above
all
BE SAFE! These things can KILL!

	Rick Holland

	The Answer is 42.