[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (Fwd: secondary waveforms)

Hi All

Several days ago I requested help to figure why I couldn't reasonable
current waveforms from a TC secondary using a toroidal xformer on the
grounded lead of the secondary.

A special thanks to John Freau, Bert Hickman and Jim Fosse for their
comments which were published on the list.

For those of you who try to do this in the future: *DO* use a small
value resistor (100 ohms or less) across whatever you use for a pickoff
device.
You will definitely get plenty of ringing at really strange frequencies
and also some strange spurious pickups from who knows where. Go to as
low an impedance as the sensitivity of your scope will allow.

The current waveforms look great....now. Just like they are supposed to.
On top of looking good they can tell you a lot about what's going on.
For instance...my system was quenching on about the fifth notch due at
least in part to the fact that the coupling was too tight (k=.25). By
reducing the coupling I gained another 4" of discharge length and the
gap now quenches at the third notch.

More to come..

Skip