[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: More on Top Toroid

    [The following text is in the "ISO-8859-1" character set]

----------
> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
> To: Tesla-list-subscribers-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: More on Top Toroid
> Date: Tuesday, February 04, 1997 12:25 AM
>
> > Subject: More on Top Toroid
>
> Subscriber: bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com Mon Feb  3 21:53:22 1997
> Date: Mon, 03 Feb 1997 11:43:33 -0800
> From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: More on Top Toroid
>
> Tesla List wrote:
> >
> > Subscriber: jd231825-at-engr.colostate.edu Sun Feb  2 17:41:41 1997
> > Date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 10:00:15 -0700
> > From: Jeff Detweiler <jd231825-at-engr.colostate.edu>
> > To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> > Subject: More on Top Toroid
> >
> > Greetings everyone,
> >
> > I really appreciate all the informative replies to my original posting.
> > Just a small clarification though--must the center of the toroid be a
> > conducting material also? I would think so for best electrostatic
> > shielding, but this would make "toroid" a bit of a misnomer since the
> > center is not really open in the sense of it being air or at least some
> > nonconducting material. In other words:
> >
> > /\_______/\ (toroid side view: plate in middle is conducting also?)
> > \/  | |  \/
> >     | |
> >     | | (coil secondary)
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jeff
>
> Jeff,
>
> It doesn't HAVE to be, but it's often more convenient to make the center
> out of conductive material, like a pair of pie-pans or pizza pans.
>
> -- Bert --

Jeff,
The inside area of the Toroid is almost entirely shielded by the rest of
the Toroid. That is why you don't normally see any sparks breaking out from
there! So, there is nothing wrong with using metal for the inner piece. I
would stick to thin aluminum, though, as ferromagnetic materials would
create inductive problems. I have noticed that some people use wood or
plastic and then cover it with aluminum foil to make it conducting. The
inner section serves two distinct purposes. One of them is to support the
wight of the Toroid, and the other is to connect the secondary to the
toroid. I have seen commercial toroids that used four metal bars to provide
both functions. I honestly don't think it makes much difference, since the
area inside the toroid is so well shielded!

Fr. Tom McGahee