[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Grounding ?'s

Ronnie Pittman wrote:

< Hi all,
<        I am just about done with my first attempt at a coil and I had a
< couple questions.
<        I am wanting to have it done for the science fair that I am
< having for my students this thursday.  My first problem is that the fair
< is in the gym.  I do not think I have the time ro run a good RF groundto
< a stake outside.  Thus my question, I know it has ben said over and over
< not to use the ground on the outlet but is there any other way to run
< one in a gym.  My transformer is really small -6kv -at- 30ma- and the
< circuit in the school gym is pretty substantial any ideas?

Hi,

	Instead of connecting the bottom of your secondary coil to
	earth, why dont you have it arc to the top of your secondary
	coil, just like a bipolar Tesla Coil, you can do this by placing
	piece of stiff wire( some clothe hanger wire will do), connect the
	wire to the bottom part of the secondary and place it some 6-7"
	inches away from the top of your secondary terminal, I`ll try to
	illustrate:

		 __________   .   .
	terminal(__________)./ \./O
		     II           I
         secondary   II           I
                     II           I
                     II           I stiff wire
                 ==========       I
	primary	 ==========       I

			Connect the bottom of the sec.
			to the stiff wire.

	I think you can also connect the bottom of the sec. directly to
	the primary but im not really sure, I think this will give you
	a much thicker, whiter arc but there`s a shock hazard with this
	config.
	! Something we wouldnt want to have on a science fair !

	Jorge Fuentes