[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla/Marx generators.

At 10:26 PM 2/10/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Subscriber: daniel_hess-at-VNET.IBM.COM Mon Feb 10 22:07:41 1997
>Date: Mon, 10 Feb 97 08:38:32 CST
>From: daniel_hess-at-VNET.IBM.COM
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Tesla/Marx generators.
>
>RE;
>another thing that made this Tesla coil somewhat unconventional was the
>fact that the resonating capacitor was connected directly in parallel with
>the primary of the Tesla coil.  The Marx multiplier would dump a nice big
>bunch of energy into the L/C primary circuit, and then the primary would
>happily ring away until it was hit again by the next dump of energy. Note
>
>But how could the Marx generator, or any other HV source charge the
>resonating cap if it's directly connected to the primary? The DC resistance
>of the primary, only a fraction of an ohm, would surely prevent, (or short
>out,) any potential applied. It's my understanding that the purpose of the
>gap is to electrically separate the primary from the cap so that charging
>can take place to a certain value. When the gap fires, it's the equivalent
>of a switch closing and that's when the show begins.
>
>Facinating phenomenom! Comments?
>
>Daniel Hess

Daniel,

A typical marx "erects" due to the multiple gap firing within in its
circuit.  This blast of energy is just like the normal TC gap firng the
resonant cap's energy across the primary coil.  "Same, same".  Once the
blast of energy from the marx has peaked in current within the primary coil,
the marx gaps will shut down and the magnetic energy collapsing back on the
primary will reflex charge the paralleled resonant cap.  As the marx is now
out of circuit, this energy can now oscillate back and forth.  I've tested
this with the H2 Thyratron switch. (Similar in action)  It works, but is a
rotten TC if sparks are what you are after. It works more like the
lack-luster Tube coil in this respect. (not enough dwell and small per cycle
energy delivery unless the marx is huge).  Output waveforms are text book
stuff, beautiful, and would bring a tear of joy to an RF radio engineer's
eyes, but would only receive the "whimp coil of the month" award from the
average coiler.

Richard Hull, TCBOR