[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Esthetically Pleasing Primaries

On Tue, 11 Feb 1997 23:25:06 -0700 Tesla List <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
writes:
>Subscriber: SSNSanders-at-aol-dot-com Tue Feb 11 23:13:46 1997
>Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 14:46:47 -0500 (EST)
>From: SSNSanders-at-aol-dot-com
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: Esthetically Pleasing Primaries

><<
> ******** Tim Maleske ***********************************
> *
> *    Help A Starving Perfectionist In Need
> *
> **************** maleske-at-worldchat-dot-com ************
>
>  >>
>I am the same way tim and these guys make the primaries without a
>ripple
>which I find impossible. I dont understand it.   Stephen S.

    Hi Tim, All,

  The way I make decent looking primary coil is to build
what I call a "spool" I'll attempt to make a usable
discription on how to make one.

 First, decide what size of conductor you will use, for
the sake of example, I'll pick .5" next, take a piece of
wood such as plywood that is a little larger in outside
dimension than the inside primary turn will be, I.E. if
your inside turn will be 10" in diameter get a piece of
wood about 15" square, make a small mark in the center of the board. Now,
get a dowel that has a circumference
equal to the diameter of the primary conductor, in this
case .5/3.14 or about .160" now temporarily mount this
dowel in the center of the 15" square board and tie a
string to the dowel tightly so it can't slip around it.
 Tie a pen or a pencil to the string at a distance from the dowel equal
to the desired inside diameter of the first primary turn. Carefully draw
a circle around the
board one full turn, you will end up with a 1 turn spiral
with an offset equal to the diameter of you primary
conductor. Draw a line between the point where spiral
starts and where it stops. Cut this spiral out with a
sabre or jig saw and drill a hole at the point where the
dowel was mounted. Cut a "slot" in it at the flat point
where you drew the line between the start and finish of the spiral, this
is where th primary conductor will be
inserted. Get two more pieces of wood about the same
diameter as the desired outside diameter of the primary
coil and mark and drill holes in the center of these as
well. Next sandwich the "offset" circle or "spool" between these two
pieces of wood. Take the primary
conductor and insert it into the slot and turn the spool
about 1 turn to lock the conductor onto it, then while
pulling tension on the primary conductor rotate the
spool slowly wrapping the conductor around the  offset
center, ALWAYS under tension when the desired amount of
turns have been wrapped release the tension and take the
center bolt out and open up the spool assembly, you'll
have a PERFECT spiral primary!

			Mark Graalman