[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

magnetic core

>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>From: Joe Cummings <joecmn-at-globalnet.co.uk>
>Subject: magnetic core
>
>Some years ago I built a tesla coil from a motor car spark coil and what
scraps I could muster. I was disappointed at the results, but didn't have a
great deal of money at the time. However, when you're skint(broke) you think!

>I reasoned that if the coil was operating at radio freqency, then a ferrite
rod such as is found in portable radios might enhance the effect.  The only
ones that were available were about 10-15cms. in length and about 7.5mm in
diameter.  When I inserted the ferrite rod into the core I was gratified to
see an intensification of the effect.

>Has anyone tried this?  I thought it might be possible to use ferrite
powder in a glass tube for a bigger coil, but I now believe that the
magnetic properties are imparted to the ceramic in the heating process.

>For a discussion of ferrites and further references, see Kirk-Othmer,
Encyclopedia of Chemical Technology, publishers Wiley Interscience.