[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TUBE COIL BOOK

<< Subject: TUBE COIL BOOK

> Amen Brother,
> If there are tried and true designs to be had in print, I'll make it
 >worth the author/designers while.  Everything I have seen on
> tube coils has been really wimpy, or filled with more math that
>I have time and batterys for.  Where's the juice?
 >Glenn
 >
>> John Freau: If you decide to do a tube coil book or even a pamphlet, a
> > paperback job on a copier you could sell it. Print it and they will come.
>> would pay some decent cash for a good reference.   Stephen.

Let me say that I appreciate the comments by those who have encouraged,
supported, made suggestions for, and offered to purchase a copy of the
eventual  completed result of my tube coil book project.  Unfortunately, time
is the enemy of fast progress.  If one project is prioritized, then another
project "suffers".

For those who are in a hurry to build a basic tube coil project, I hope the
following will be helpful:

1.  A good, short, basic tube coil article appeared in TCBA News, Vol. 3, #
3, 1984.  It is a reprint of an article from the August, 1954 issue of Radio
and Television News.  Coils which produce up to 15" sparks are covered.  I
like this article because although it gives specific component values for a
coil project, it also explains that tube coil constuction is really not that
critical--there's a certain range of parts values and configurations that
will work fine.  A friend of mine once wanted to build a tube coil, but
rather than copy one of mine, he wanted it to be "his" design.  He made up
the pri, sec, grid coil, layout, etc. in such a way that it "looked" right.
 In other words, the proportions looked reasonable; dia. of sec., number of
turns, etc.  Once the coil was tuned up and adjusted properly, it worked
great.  In fact he built a number of coils in this manner, and as he gained
experience, the results got even better.  In fact, by not being tied to a
particular design, he creatively tried some unusual configurations which also
worked fine.   It is true however that for the absolute best performance,
some parameter "matching" is required.

There are other good tube coil articles, such as John Wiesner's article which
was recently mentioned by Ed Wingate, in other issues of TCBA news also.
 Back issues of the newsletter are available from:

      Harry Goldman  (TCBA)
      3  Amy  Lane
      Queensbury,  NY   12804

Price is probably about $7 per issue.

2.  If anyone needs a schematic for a tube coil that will give about a 6" to
10" spark, E-mail your mailing address to me and I'll mail you a schematic
with parts values.

3.  Check out the periodicals index at large public libraries, you may find
some tube coil construction articles that were published in old magazines and
transfered to microfilm.

4.  Maybe other List Subscribers can suggest specific articles and info
sources also.

Powerful, and raspy tube coiling!'

John Freau