[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: HELP ME PLEASE!

Tesla List wrote:

> Subscriber: jim.fosse-at-bdt-dot-com Thu Jan  2 23:21:58 1997
> Date: Fri, 03 Jan 1997 05:15:24 GMT
> From: Jim Fosse <jim.fosse-at-bdt-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: HELP ME PLEASE!
>
> >Date: Thu, 02 Jan 1997 19:05:21 -0600
> >From: Kevin <knardell-at-mailhost.accesscom-dot-net>
> >To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> >Subject: Re: HELP ME PLEASE!

> [snip]
> >

> >Jim, the coil works like I have it, just not doing anything big, I have not
> >fried my neon,
> YET! You will:( I have; many others have also.
> > only blew the caps because I opened the gaps to far. If I set
> >the system up like you said to, and I did, it don't work and the gaps won't
> >fire. The neon sits there and goes hummmmmmmmmmmmm.
> >

> Kevin,
>         It sounds like your SW caps are resonating with the leakage
> inductance of your neon (this produces a higher voltage) and without
> the higher voltage the gaps will not conduct.
>
> You have 6 3.5" ice tea bottles (memory here). Maybe Bert can
> calculate your capacitance (hint, hint;)
>
> While Bert's working, try the parallel gap/series cap with a smaller
> gap setting.  The only thing you have to lose by not trying this are
> your neons.
>
>         jim

Jim and Kevin,

When I was looking at Kevin's coil specs before, I tried to make an
estimate of the size of his caps. Regular wine-cooler or beer bottle
caps come in at around 500-550 pF/bottle. With the larger diameter of
Kevin's iced tea bottles, I'd estimate his to be closer to 1000-1100 pF
per, so he's probably in the range of 6000 - 6600 pF. With two 15-30's
driving the system, this would place him around 75 Hz... With the lousy
Q of these transformers and tank caps, he could very well be running
into some power-frequency resonance effects. If this is the case, the
transformers really _are_ on borrowed time in this configuration and
with wide gap settings....

Kevin, do you notice the transformers humming fairly loudly (even if the
gaps aren't firing)?

Safe coilin' to ya!

-- Bert --