[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: tuning

<<
  I tried a larger sphere since I sent this message and the sparks did
 decrease around the wire but there is still significant discharge from
 the wire. The type of sparks have changed though, from several sparks to
 maybe one or two sparks thicker at the base rotating rapidly around the
 sphere. I have a toroid but it is too large for the power level that I'm
 at now.

Max,

It sounds like you really need a toroid to provide some shielding to the top
turns of the secondary.  I made two toroids recently for my new coil.  One is
10" dia the other is 12" dia.   The components only cost maybe $5 to $10 for
both.  Go to a hobby, crafts store and buy some styrofoam rings these are
available in many sizes for making wreaths, etc.  Cut some plastic or metal
pie tins into a circle to just fit inside the center of the styrofoam ring.
 Drill a small hole in the center to use for mounting on the secondary.  Tape
it into place.  Cover the whole thing with foil tape.  I think I built both
of mine in a couple of hours time while watching a football game.

Ed Sonderman