[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: My 1st capacitors

> Subscriber: hullr-at-whitlock-dot-com Thu Jan  2 22:46:47 1997
> Date: Thu, 02 Jan 1997 11:06:15 -0800
> From: Richard Hull <hullr-at-whitlock-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: My 1st capacitors
>
> Tesla List wrote:
> >
> > > Subject:       Re: My 1st capacitors
> > > Subject: Re: My 1st capacitors
> >
> > Subscriber: rwstephens-at-headwaters-dot-com Wed Jan  1 22:03:01 1997
> > Date: Wed, 1 Jan 1997 18:35:22 -0500
> > From: "Robert W. Stephens" <rwstephens-at-headwaters-dot-com>
> > To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> > Subject: Re: My 1st capacitors
> >
> > > Date:          Wed, 1 Jan 1997 08:25:19 -0700
> > > From:          Tesla List <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
> > > To:            Tesla-list-subscribers-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
> > > Subject:       Re: My 1st capacitors
> >
> > > Subscriber: knardell-at-mailhost.accesscom-dot-net Wed Jan  1 08:03:32 1997
> > > Date: Thu, 02 Jan 1997 04:50:30 -0600
> > > From: Kevin <knardell-at-mailhost.accesscom-dot-net>
> > > To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> > > Subject: Re: My 1st capacitors

> > > Please explain this in more detail, it really caught my attention, I use
> > > neon transformers on my coil and want MORE POWER, maybe you can also halp
> > > with this. I also use SW caps and want to make some caps like yours.
> > >
> > > Thanks and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> > > Said with A BIG BOOM!
> > >
> > >                                        Regards,
> > >                                             Kevin Nardelle
> > >
> > > Quality Control Accepted #28
> > >
> > > What's the difference between a puppy and Woody Jenkins?
> > >
> > >       A puppy quits whining after three days.
> > >
> > Kevin,
> >
> > For a safety standpoint I suggest you connect your secondary bottom
> > terminal back to earth ground IMMEDIATELY.  I cannot overemphasize
> > this!
> >
> > I am taking a guess here,
> > but I think you may be using the freestanding capacitance that your
> > secondary represents as a tuning aid to bring your primary system
> > into resonance by this connection.  You should be able to 'dial in'
> > the same high performance by adding primary turns when you
> > reconfigure the secondary bottom to ground.
> >
> > With the secondary bottom tied to the 60 Hz neon as you are using it,
> > that output streamer becomes LETHAL!!!!!!!!!!!   None of the
> > florescent lamp or body /streamer contact tricks that are part of
> > normal Tesla coil fun can be attemted with this dangerous
> > configuration.
> >
> > Safety and Life First!, streamers and coiling fun second.
> >
> > rwstephens
>

> Robert,
>
> In my experiments over Christmas, I noted that gounding the primary to
> the base of the secondary had a distinct effect on the system output both
> electrostatically and with regard to spark length.  For spark length, the
> secondary generally likes to be part of the primary tank (via ground).
> Electrostatics generally prefer the isolated secondary approach and no
> [...]

Richard,

ALL my work to date has been to make bigger streamers.  You have been
doing some outstanding work of late measuring miniscule far field
(not the textbook EM wave definition of 'far field') effects as they appear in both
electrostatic  and electromagnetic detectors.  Can it be that in the
case where the primary circuit is isolated from ground you have an
extra mass of metal (the primary coil and associated circuit) at an instantaneous
elevated voltage level which might sum with the emission from the top of the
secondary by its surface area times voltage, and be seen as making a slight
addition to the created surrounding electrostatic field because it makes a larger
effective transmitting antenna (capacitor plate to surroundings
through air) in effect, as seen from your farly distanced detector?

If you increase the size of one of the flat plates of a capacitor you
will get the same capacitive coupling current at a farther distance
between the plates, or an increased current at the same spacing.

I really don't know why my post invoked such a response as yours on this.  The
topic seemed quite in another area.  No problemo though. I hope my
idea might shed light on this observational effect which you have seen.

rwstephens

There are only two platforms of potential in all this vast universe.
Depending upon which one you stand, you are either throwing the lighning bolts,
or being hit by them!