[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Source for Pole Pigs and metal spheres.

        Well I went to the power company today and found the person in
charge, I told him straight what I was looking for and why I needed it. He
did not seem amused but took me seriously and also understood the budget I
was on. We were looking at (Still in use and live) Corona balls, these are
little aluminum balls about 5-6" dia. and are placed on the HV switches in
the sub stations. Next we went to the yard and sized up the pigs!! those
suckers were from 5KV-115KV (200lbs to ???HUGE), he put me in touch with the
transformer shop and monday I get to go and pick out a pig! The best part is
that I may be able to skate with it for 50 bucks! The corona balls are going
to be another story, I have to find switches out of service for that but the
good part is that they are free!

This fellow at the shop says they have alot of old NON-PCB transformers in
the scrap pile, can I rewind or repair these? Another thing I found was
MONSTER capacitors, I don't know what they were rated at but they are made
to deal with those big pigs, would these be also something to try and get or
look into? I tried to read a value but there was nothing on the caps that
said anything about voltage or capacitance.

I hope I inspire some folks to visit their local power company and
transformer shop as this can be rewarding, it sure made my week.

I think the oil in the out of service units might be good for poly caps, agree?

                                       Regards,
                                            Kevin Nardelle

   * T   E   S   L   A      C   O   I   L   S *
Kevin Nardelle   knardell-at-accesscom-dot-net
My main web page IS UP all TESLA
related with lotsa pictures and links.
http://www.icorp-dot-net/users/kev/tesla
http://www.accesscom-dot-net/nardell
Non related sites I have
The Louisiana Swamps Online (Under construction)
http://www.icorp-dot-net/users/kev