[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: new coil

Tesla List wrote:

> Subscriber: knardell-at-mailhost.accesscom-dot-net Fri Jan 17 22:39:03 1997
> Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 11:19:43 -0600
> From: Kevin <knardell-at-mailhost.accesscom-dot-net>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: new coil
>
> At 10:58 PM 1/16/97 -0700, you wrote:
> >Subscriber: major-at-vicksburg-dot-com Thu Jan 16 22:57:39 1997
> >Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 21:45:08 -0600
> >From: RODERICK MAXWELL <major-at-vicksburg-dot-com>
> >To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> >Subject: new coil
> >
> >Well I've found at least part of the problem. It seems the ball
> >discharge terminal was too large, so to correct the problem I took a
> >plastic fishing cork and covered it in aluminum foil. Tapped in at the
> >13th turn I got 12inch sparks! But I'm still having sparks break out on
> >the wire leadig up to the terminal.
>
> I used Plasti Dip to coat the wire.
>
>  Maybe substituting a terminal
> >somewhere in between the two sizes is the answer?
>
> nope.
>
>  I also decreased the
> >distance between the terminal and the top of the coil hoping that that
> >would help. No joy. Will also try increase in conductor on ground
> >connection to reduce skin effect.
> >

> >                                 Frankensteins Helper
> >                                        Max
> >

> Max,
>
> What did you treat your secondary with? You should coat it with many layers
> of varathane or better is that two part epoxy paint, Chip swears by this
> stuff so you should ask him about where you can get it. Personally I do not
> use that but I have many coats of varnish on my secondary and the few top
> turns including the air wound part is coated with Plasti Dip. The Plasti Dip
> does away with corona leaking out the coil. Also read the post about primary
> coils, that will help you with the coupling. Anything further from me would
> be speculation, I now leave it in the hands of the experts.
>
> Good luck!
>
>                                        Regards,
>                                             Kevin Nardelle
>
>    ********************************************
>    * T   E   S   L   A      C   O   I   L   S *
>    ********************************************
> Kevin Nardelle   knardell-at-accesscom-dot-net
> My main web page IS UP all TESLA
> related with lotsa pictures and links.
> http://www.icorp-dot-net/users/kev/tesla
> http://www.accesscom-dot-net/nardell
> Non related sites I have
> The Louisiana Swamps Online (Under construction)
> http://www.icorp-dot-net/users/kev

   I'm only getting unwanted discharges from the airwound wire leading
to the discharge terminal not from the coil itself. But will try your
sugestion on coating the wire. I used two part epoxy to coat the
secondary which is made of polystyrene wound with 24# magnet wire 4" dia
x 18" long. I should have a resonant freq somewhere around ~490Khz.