[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: output

At 10:36 PM 1/18/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Subscriber: major-at-vicksburg-dot-com Sat Jan 18 22:32:36 1997
>Date: Sat, 18 Jan 1997 20:29:48 -0600
>From: RODERICK MAXWELL <major-at-vicksburg-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: output
>
>Last night I ran my coil flat out, full power for the first time.
>After about ten seconds my spark output decreased dramaticaly. At first
>I thought I might have ruined the transformers, but after I turned off
>the coil for a few minutes and tried again spark output returned to
>normal! Does one of the more eperienced coilers know what the problem
>could be? I would like to be able to run more than ten seconds at a
>time.
>

>     Secondary coil: 4" diammeter x 18" tall  (winding area) polysyrene
>     Primary coil: saucer coil, 30 degree pitch .25" tubing spaced .5"
>     Spark gap: six 3/4" copper tubing 3" long spaced ~.028" apart
>forced air cooling by
>      ac muffin fan
>     Neon transformers: two 7500vac -at- 30ma in parallel
>     Chokes: two ferrite bobbin core chokes wound with ~200 turns 24#
>magnet wire in
>     oil
>     Safety Gap: with center post tied to rf ground
>     Tank Capacitor: .003uf cap made of 1/8" thick poly in vertical
>plate configuration,
>     in mineral oil
>     Resistors: two 50watt power resistors in series with each leg of
>the transformers
>
>[ Your spark gaps are getting too hot to quench properly.  Try putting
>  another muffin fan next to them and see how that works.  That's my bet
>  anyway.  If the gaps are way hot after a run, then they are causing
>  problems. -- Chip]

Chip is right, I had the same problem and a fellow coiler said the same
thing, when they cool you will get the same big spark untill they get hot
again. The fan will do the trick but this also says (and I am no pro
but..)you need a better gap to handle the power you are pushing. The one you
have might not be able to handle quite as much power as you put into it.

I said I would not answer any more questions but I had this same problem and
after I rebuilt the gaps the problem went away and I even got larger sparks.

                                       Regards,
                                            Kevin Nardelle

   * T   E   S   L   A      C   O   I   L   S *
Kevin Nardelle   knardell-at-accesscom-dot-net
My main web page IS UP all TESLA
related with lotsa pictures and links.
http://www.icorp-dot-net/users/kev/tesla
http://www.accesscom-dot-net/nardell
Non related sites I have
The Louisiana Swamps Online (Under construction)
http://www.icorp-dot-net/users/kev