[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Very COOL AVI

Hi Richard, all,
                 A timely note on the hazards presented by external
connections to computers......

> I have worked on and repaired computer based equipment for years.  The
> absolute #1 best way to kill a CPU is a modem!!  It is the one weak link in
> the chain.  The phone lines are much higher impedance than any power line
> and are far less protected from moderate to high transients.
>
> You can use the best power strip and surge suppressors on your CPU but leave
> the modem plugged to the phone line and you have placed a large antenna into
> the atmosphere and virtually wired it into the heart of your computer!!!
> Power lines kill computers on a ratio of 1 to 100 as compared to modems,
> especially around Tesla coils!!!!
>
> Always unplug the phone line from your modem if you are not siting infront
> of the glowing screen!!!

Just like to add LAN cables to the list. As a precaution when running
the coil I have at work, I unplug the following:

- All equipment in the workshop from the mains
- LAN cables from the computer/s *and* wall socket/s
- Cables from computers to printers, both ends
- TV aerial from TV
- Cables from monitors to computers (also keyboards to be real safe)

Malcolm