[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

trigger

Hi Gary & all,
Be forewarned that large capacitor banks
can kill and at the very least mutilate the
unwary experimenter.  Have at least two
people present: one to push your body off
the live capacitors with a 2 by 4 and the other
to call the fire department to put out the flames!
Resuscitation is often useless for the chared
remains from such accidents.  Forget about
insurance coverage for the crater in your
drive way!!

I have a 1 uF capacitor that I charge up to
10 kV and trigger with a 3 electrode spark gap
(trigatron) fired with an HEI ignition coil fired
with a 20 uF capacitor charged to 500v
switched with a 600v, 35 A SCR for
exploding wire experiments.  This method will work
for your setup.  Put the capacitor bank
behind 1" thick plexiglas, lexan, or plywood.
Ground everything very well.  Have a shorting stick
with insulated handle, safety glasses, and ear protectors.
Put the biggest bleader resistor you can find across
the capacitor bank.  Your load should not exceed
the current rating of the capacitors.  For maximum
aural effect use a #40 wire as a load.  For pulsed Tesla
coil magnifier experiments use an intermediate
impedance matching transformer (magnifier driver?).

I cannot assume any responsibility for your evicerated
and incinerated entrails should you fail to follow
OSHA safety guidelines.  Be careful!!!!!!!!
Barry

[ While this may _seem_ off topic, it isn't really, as safety is
 a primary concern for the tesla coiler.  -- Chip]