[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Experimental results

Tesla List wrote:

> Subscriber: couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net Sat Dec 21 15:16:07 1996
> Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 19:38:58 +0000
> From: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Experimental results
>
> At 05:25 AM 12/18/96 +0000, you wrote:
> >Subscriber: rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com Tue Dec 17 21:50:00 1996
> >Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 17:38:09 -0800
> >From: Richard Wayne Wall <rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com>
> >To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> >Subject: Re: Experimental results
> >snip
>
> Tesla said in his writings that the charge collected from a Tesla coil
> secondary terminal will always be negative because the dampened wave is
> offset and the negative amplitude is greater than the positive. When you get
> a positive charge it is because of induction.

Jack,

This point is well taken and I understand the nature of charging by
induction.  Nonetheless the actual measured charge on the ball is
positive only!!  This could indeed allow for negative "charge agents" if
induction is indeed taking place.  Again, though, all accumulated
coulombic charge is positive only.

For those not familiar with electrostatic induction...

This is when you can take a electrosttically charged item and deposit a
charge of the oppositie sign on another object!  I know it sounds crazy,
but it can be done and I show it in tape report #55.  It was known from
Franklin's day!

R. Hull

Jack continues...

> It should be noted that isotropic capacity only makes sense with an isolated
> object in space. Isotropic means equal physical properties along all axes.
> The physical properties in this case are charges (forces) extending in all
> directions from the charged object. The forces are similar to gravitational
> forces which extend in all directions from matter.
>
> Jack C.

Jack,

I used the term isotropic in a broad sense.  Any conducting object or
differing dielectric develops capacity due to the concept of isotropic
capacity.  True use of the word "isotropic" would be in the case of a
infinitely small point charge or a small sphere only.  No irregularly
shape items allowed. This is almost never the case in the real world.  So
I use the term isotropic capacity to represent capacity of any unit
chargable body.  I qualify this to ("isolated" isotropic capacity) when
speaking of a truely free floating or suspended body not generally in the
electrical influence of other items. (normally taken to be about 10 times
the largest dimensional measure of the object from the nearest conductor
or dielectric of a permittivity other than the main dielectric which the
item in question is immersed.

Richard Hull, TCBOR