[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Behr Super-Build 50

All,

I recently visited Bert Hickman and saw his coil which sports a
generous coating of this water clear epoxy type finish called Behr
Super-Build 50.  It is truly a beauty! (Way to go, Bert!) The enamelled copper
wire colour embedded beneath the surface of this coating is a pleasure to
behold.  Yes I said and meant 'imbedded'  Its like looking at the
coil at the bottom of a swimminmg pool from above the water surface.
You couldn't get this attractive a clear coating if you applied 100
coats of regular varathane.  I would like to put this coating on a couple of magnet
wire coils I have already coated with several coats of varathane clear finish.
Screw the potential RF losses, this stuff is a cabinet maker Tesla coiler's
dream come true!  For the record, Bert is _not_ a cabinet maker type
coiler, sorry Bert, but I saw no cabinet associated with your fine
coil.  : )

Has anyone any experience with such an experiment.  I figure if the Behr
doesn't eat the enamel wire coating, it probably will also be
compatible with very well dried (over 1 year) varathane.  Any
comments or shared experience appreciated.

rwstephens

[ Oh yes. I only tried the Super-Build 50 after I lost patience on my
  (not enough coats of) urethane coated coil.  It works like a charm.
  No one can tell the difference.  As for RF dissipation, I don't think
  it's bad at all.  The only caution I give is that if you have an acrylic
  coil form, don't let it get really cold (10 deg. F or less).  The SB50
  shrinks faster than the form.  For PVC, I haven't had a problem (yet :-))
  -- Chip ]