[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Re: torque conv./ inner tubes

> Date:          Tue, 7 Jan 1997 22:25:42 -0700
> From:          Tesla List <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
> To:            Tesla-list-subscribers-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
> Subject:       RE:  Re: torque conv./ inner tubes

> Subscriber: scottb-at-aca.ca Tue Jan  7 22:16:14 1997
> Date: Tue, 7 Jan 1997 10:48:37 -0500
> From: scottb-at-aca.ca
> To: tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
> Subject: RE:  Re: torque conv./ inner tubes
>

> I have run earth mover tractor type inner tubs, car and truck tire inner
> tubes, etc, in the early 1990s.
>
> They work great when covered with aluminum foil.
>
>   I had a problem though.  With the onset of winter the air in
> the tube contracted in my un-heated lab.   The foil then shriveled up on
> the reduced size toroid and permenant wrinkles appeared.  Refilling a bit
> actually stressed the Aluminum and it tore in a few places.  Finally, I
> don't know what caused this, but I came out one day and the giant 65"
> diameter inner tube was wilted down over the Nemesis coil like a big
> silver condom!  I thought this might have been the rubber succumbing to
> the UV/ozone exposure and deterioration along chemical lines took its
> toll, or just a chance punture.  I haven't used inner tubes since that
> time.
>
> Richard Hull, TCBOR
>

> What about filling the inner tube with something other than air, like that
> spray insulation which quickley hardens??

That spray foam from the builder's supply place requires contact with air to
cure.  Inside a sealed rubber bag like a tire tube it would never harden.  If you
could get some of this expanding foam in a two part like epoxy that would be a
terrific idea with a tire tube I think.  Durable and light weight!
Just coat with aluminum tape.

rwstephens