[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: cap tester

<<
 I need a capacitor tester to check the value of my 2 Tesla Coil rolled oil
 filled capacitors.  The value should be about .008 uf.

 The only thing I own is a digital volt meter and a soldering gun.  My meter
 does not check capacitors.  I don't want to spend $200.00 for a new meter
 that checks caps.

 Does anyone know anyplace that sells low cost capacitor meters?  Does anyone

 know where to buy a KIT for a capacitor tester?  Does anyone have a circuit
 for a capacitor tester that can be built from parts?

 My email address in http://www.gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net

 Gary Weaver

Gary,

I don't know where to get a low cost capacitance meter.  I would think you
could determine the value by using a known capacitor that is maybe + or - 5%
and place it in series with the capacitor under test.  Then apply a small ac
voltage across the two in series and deduce the value by measuring the
voltage drop across them.

Ed Sonderman