[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: MicroWave oven Transformer

<< < From: James <pylon-at-nwlink-dot-com>
 ><> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
 > Subject: MicroWave oven Transformer
 >>
 > I just recently disassembled an old microwave (circa 1983?) and I got an
 >>old 15+ lb transformer out of it that is used to drive the magnetron. It
 > has two secondaries, one for the magnetron filament, the other for the
 > >magnetron drive. I don't know what the exact outputs are, but I also took
 > out a 1 MFD, 2000V oil-filled cap (Yes, i discharged it before i touched
 >> it...;) that the Drive section of the secondary was connected in series
 > snip>>>
 >> shunts on it, so would I have to put something on it to limit the
current?
 > Also, would the cap I retrieved from the oven be suitable for
 >>pulse-discharge experiments? If the x-former isn't suitable for tesla
work,
 > could I use it for a pulse-discharge supply?
 >
 >>Thanks,
 >
 > James.....

 >James -

  > This type of transformer works great in a tube coil -- I am using
 >one in my twin-805 triode powered coil. Works great! Typical values
>are 1200 - 1500 volts on the HV winding -at- 300-500mA. Too low a voltage
>for a spark-gap system though.

> Brent

James,

I once connected 4 microwave oven transformers together (secondaries in
series, primaries in series parallel) , two of the cores were grounded, and
two I kept floating
at high voltage, (these floating cores have to be kept insulated from
everything else).  These transformers all had shunts in them, BTW.  The
primary arrangement allowed me to use 240 volts input for greater efficiency.
 But these transformers are inefficient in general, anyhow the system gave a
60 " spark and drew 6 kW.  You could see a corona effect between the cores
and the windings, on the floating core transformers because they' re not
supposed to be used in this manner.  In time, they'd probably break down, but
I didn't have a problem.  For longer life, these floating cores could be
emersed in oil.  I'd recommend this technique only if you absolutely can't
get better transformers, or just want to build a bizarre system!

Happy coiling,

John Freau