[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Toroid Size?

Tesla List wrote:

> Subscriber: rwstephens-at-headwaters-dot-com Mon Jan  6 22:25:48 1997
> Date: Mon, 6 Jan 1997 20:07:27 -0500
> From: "Robert W. Stephens" <rwstephens-at-headwaters-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Toroid Size?
>
> All, and Chuck Curran,
>
> Here's one to put in your collective pipes and smoke for a while.
> Chuck, you should pay special attention to this post.  It, and any
> enlightening replies that it might generate from the experts on this
> list may be just in time to save you some grief.  I hope you haven't
> built your topload yet.
>
> I recall another list member recently posted a question (sorry friend ,
> could't re-find your post)  about sparks racing up and down his secondary and
> specifically asked as a possible solution to his problem, "Is it because my
> topload is too big for this coil?"  In answer to his question I now
> think the answer could well be "yes!".
>
> Over the two years of my limited coiling experience I too have noted
> that a condition can be reached whereby a coil just goes out of
> control after a certain amount of topload is added.  Reducing K does
> not seem to help at this point.  I've seen this on my terrific performer, the
> single 15K-at-60 powered STC once I pile on too much volumetric aluminum
> upstairs.  I've also seen it occur also on small coils on the bench during attempts
> to gain maximum streamer length. It was not a big deal or concern to
> me until now.   I just encountered it on my MTC unit! : (
>
> Topload comes in two somewhat inseperable quantities.  A larger
> toroid will have a higher isotropic capacitance value, period.  This
> is strictly a function of surface area.  The way you make this extra
> surface area is a variable somewhat under your control as the
> designer however. If you merely take the same cross sectional toroid
> size and make it into a larger circle you will raise C without
> increasing the breakaway voltage.  If you also increase the cross sectional
> diameter of your toroid at the same time as making the overall
> diameter larger, you also increase the holdoff voltage it can
> withstand before corona and streamers can be formed.
>
> I would like to know, is the wall we hit by increasing topload and
> then running into racing secondary breakdown related to this extra
> holdoff voltage, as opposed to the electrical phase angle now
> being some value increasingly less than 90 degrees that is strictly a
> function of L and top C?
>
> Facts are, the more C we place on top, the LOWER the theoretical 1/4
> lambda voltage available from the correspondingly foreshortened
> resonator.  I don't see this as a function that can have a sharp 'Good-Bad'
> threshold like a yesteryear drugstore tube tester.  C and L are continuously
> adjustable in a balance.  One extreme is all L with a needle point top terminal,
> and the other a huge topload C on a straight vertical section of wire
> [...]

Robert & All:

	Sometimes being slow/patient might be a benefit.  Your post is of great
interest to me, specifically in how it relates to what I observed with
the coil design by Resonance Research, Inc. or D.C. Cox.  The last few
weeks I have been considering whether that big toroid I mentioned in
early December would ever be built.  Seeing that 19" dia by 39" wound
length coil spit out sparks in the 12 foot range with a 30" diameter
toroid has at least made me think there is at least two ways to skin
that poor abused cat!
	No Robert, I haven't even purchased the material yet for the toroid.
It was planned for the end of this month or early February.  I was
planning to start up the new coil with my present 8" x 48" toroid and
get things roughed in and then switch to a bigger toroid--now I might
change those plans somewhat.  My present coil, 8" diameter by 28" wound
length using #20 wire ran with the 8"x48" toroid.  The big difference in
performance between my coil and the Cox coil was I had 5'-7' sparks that
were not continuous.  The Milwaukee Museum coil had continuous sparks
that reached out and just sorta happily sat there two or three at a
time, always one up to 12 feet long the others much smaller.  They were
inside on a stage, I was out in the driveway with the normal 9:00 PM
summer night breeze.  That pretty little spun aluminum toroid seemed to
be plenty for that coil, so your comments Robert, are hitting a target
over here by me.  I already down-sized my cap, which I mentioned
yesterday, to .05 mfd-at-30KVAC, for two reasons, resonant frequency
dictated that was the perfect size, plus cost factors!
	Hope the damage done to your secondary wasn't too bad.  A couple of
questions on your coil--you mentioned the PVC coated #18 wire, I don't
recall if you have a layer of varnish over it or anything elsed? Most of
the standard hook up wire has about a 600 volt rating guess it wasn't
too hard for that MTC of yours to pop chunks like it did--would of
probably damaged any combination of materials under the cicumstances you
described.
	I will be ordering the 12" diameter flexible aluminum duct no matter
what.  The unknown at this point will be what exact size to make the
whole thing.  Since I don't have a clear path but alot of curiousity
right now, I think I will build a slightly  bigger toroid and learn what
I can.  I am anxious to check out the k of the new system, but that will
be some time away--8 week lead time on the cap.  I should have the
primary coil system done by 1/18/97 and then I will finish my static
gap.  I have several photo's and I will post them when the primary is
completed.  Any constructive criticism would be appreciated from all.
Tune for minimum smoke is always the goal.
Let us know about that "bigger toroid to stuff underneath"--maybe 30" x
90"?? :-)  Getting late here time to go to bed!

Chuck Curran