[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Blew my rolled cap....

Chip wrote:

"Now I'm going to connect up the CP cap that I ordered a while ago.  I
think I'll baby it for a while.  (At least 5 minutes!)

Question:  Is there anyone who has one of the custom CP caps who has
used
it without problem on 14400v or greater?  I'm paranoid about blowing
it."

Chip, I use a 0.02 uFd-at-15kV CP cap on my resonator powered with a 15
kV-at-120mA neon, and am very satisfied with it. BUT, when I ordered my CP
cap I spoke with one of the engineers, as I was concerned about the AC
rating (this was durring the series of CP cap failers poeple were geting
after one of Scott Myers group buys)and was informed that the caps were
rated at 120 PPS (static gaps on a 60 hZ mains) and when one put a
rotary gap in the tank the AC voltage rating would signifiganly drop
when you started going over 120 PPS. He was very specific in saying
these caps were NOT designed for high break rates. So, if I were you, I
wouldn't run your rotary over 120 BPS with the CP cap. In my oppinon, CP
makes very affordable and professional TC caps, but if you need a high
performance cap you'v got to spend some real money and talk to the
engineers who are designing it so they know just what your going to be
throwing at this puppy! Good luck,

David Trimmell <dwt-at-efn-dot-org>