[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TC Electrostatics (fwd)

[Chip, I have observed some of RH's recent electrostatic TC
experiments. They are incredible and reproducible.  Some on the list
are resistant to new and different developements in TCs.  That's OK,
but nature is the final arbiter.  NT was aware of the electrostatic
nature of his coils.  Much of his work at Colorado Springs was devoted
to electrostatics.  This post may be controversial to some, but I must
hold my ground.  There will be a lot of new work coming out in the next
few months.  As a consequence sparks will be bigger and better in the
long run.  Thanks for your consideration.  RWW]

1/1/96

Bert wrote:

snip

>> If we load the TC with power then decrease secondary capacitance at
>>the right time then terminal voltage and arcs will increase
>>dramatically.  Perhaps switching a series capacitor in the TC base
>>circuit in and out at the critical time.  Timing in changing
>>(decreasing) the capacity becomes a feed back challenge that most EEs
>>should be able to solve.

>>Would this work also by increasing primary capacitance thus
>>increasing power for a fixed primary voltage?
>>
>> RWW

>Richard, Alfred, and all,

snip

>Richard, trying to change Cs "on the fly", although conceptually
>correct, would be virtually impossible due to the combination of high
>voltages and rapid switching required.

Actually, voltages at the secondary base are quite low and switching at
100-200 kHz is not terribly difficult electronically.

>Fortunately we don't need to do this - there are easier ways! Merely
>increasing primary capacitance, gap breakdown voltage, reducing
>secondary capacitance, or improving transfer efficiency will all
>increase output voltage, as long as the overall system is retuned
>appropriately.

snip

>Note that, as Alfred suggests, exactly HOW we transfer this energy
>does not really matter! A Tesla coil simply does it
>electromagnetically.

Alfred suggests nothing of the kind.  Please reread what he wrote.
Your last last statement is also incorrect.  The TC is an electrical
hybrid.  It translates EM energy into electrostatic energy.  Your above
suggestions are all based on electromagnetic concepts.  They are valid,
but we have about pushed the TC EM envelope about as far as possible.
Alfred, in turn, suggests an electrostatic enhancement of TC terminal
potential.

Recent experimentation by RH leaves no doubt that TCs produce large
amounts of electrostatic potential and are capable of charging distant
objects with electrostatic energy.  These TC experiments are
reproducible by anyone on this list.  I have personally observed these
experiments.

snip

> Trying to maximize output voltage is not the whole story.

No, but a major part of the story is maximizing TC electrostatic
potential.  There is a major difference between TC EM output voltage
and electrostatic voltage.  They are two distinct types of electricity.
They use different units.  They may exist separately or both together
in the same circuit.  They do not mix or interfer with each other.
They do not superpose or phase cancel.  They are only related through
basic charge.  They may only be interconverted by a "translator".  TCs
are excellent examples of translators.

High TC terminal electrostatic potential paves the way for big sparks.

RWW