[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Ed's striking problem

<big snip>

Ed Sonderman wrote:

>......  I  have one and am having a problem with massive, sustained hits down to
>the  strike rail.  The 40" toroid has a raised ring all around the top outside
> edge and it still likes to hit down toward the primary.
>
> Ed Sonderman

Ed,

I seem to recall seeing pictures of your coil some time ago with the two different
diameter toroids stacked so that the bigger one is on the bottom, and then you
were using a wire point to cause breakaway in a desired direction.

Can you make a donut just a little bigger than your secondary , maybe
2-3 inches in total diameter greater with some small 3 inch diameter
aluminum flex duct. You will basically have to wind a single turn
with this stuff as tight as you can to work on your 6 inch coil.  You
might be better off finding some 2 inch diameter material for this.
I've seen a product in the stores which is a water plaything that
floats called a 'Water Noodle'.  It is flexible foamed plastic in
florescent colors about two inches in diameter and 4 feet or so
long.  You could take some of this, turn it into a tight circle and
cover it with adhesive aluminum tape.  You could also make a suitable
coil end field shaper by aluminum taping a couple of frisbees
together I guess.  We coilers will do whatever works, and is cheap.

Mount it about 1-2 inches above the top winding, and then
electrically connected in the same assembly, suspend your two larger siamessed
toroids (acting as a bigger single unit) maybe 6-10 inches spaced above the first
small diameter one.  In the upper unit, have the bigger diameter unit on
top.  Try this with a bleeder point to tune her up and after you've
got her tuned remove the bleeder point.  I hope you will find that
this will help throw streamers out and away from your coil while
reducing the strikes directly downwards.  If you implement this idea let me
know what happens please.

rwstephens