[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Bigger top = bigger sparks

From: 	Bert Pool[SMTP:bertpool-at-flash-dot-net]
Sent: 	Tuesday, July 01, 1997 6:06 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Bigger top = bigger sparks

[big, big snip]

> Bert:
> Sounds like you really had things going well!  4 1/2 minutes of run time
> is pretty respectable for a new system still being developed.  I have
> kept my two coil system to about 2 minutes and was happy that nothing
> got too upset this last Friday. The toroid stack must look pretty neat
> too--do the cars slow down when you are just setting up, trying to
> figure out what you're doing?

This time we set up in the back yard and I got to use my good ground
that I worked so hard to bury.  The only neighbors who got to watch
were my back door neighbors who got invited to come on over.

>Your comment about the transmission line
> flapping in the breeze caught my attention.  I have been wondering what
> would happen if all of us who run our coils outside in the wind, could
> one day take them inside and not let the wind disrupt our "ionized
> air".  I bet your 11' spark would stretch out some more, based on
> comments heard before.  Hope you are able to post a photo of the system
> when time permits, too bad about the damaged/dead welder.
>
> I tried taking a time exposure Friday night of my coil running.  I had
> an older Konica camera that was funtional last year but this year it
> gave up the ghost.  Next I got two really old Leica cameras from my
> Uncle's estate when he passed away and I tried one of them, knowing that
> a 1939 vintage camera would be 100% mechanical--it doesn't work yet
> either.  Last resort was my new Minolta, which I took one shot with and
> then it did some odd things.  It's still O.K.--I knew I should not try
> it so close to the coil, but I really wanted to get a photo to post!
> Well, I'll get the one developed and see if it turned out or not.  If
> not, I'll keep trying.  Sunday my wife asked me what happened to the
> Flowering Crab tree.  A whole bunch of leaves were dead--wilted and
> brown where the coil had hit them during the run.  Neighbors from six
> houses down the road came by to watch that big bug zapper run, as they
> called it.
>
> Chuck Curran

Wild Bill Emery's camcorder gets very upset with the magnifier, and
my 35 mm camera has to be kept far from the driver coils or it goes
crazy too.  I have kept my coils from hitting any of our trees so
far.

Bert Pool
bertpool-at-flash-dot-net